Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sachi


Tell me a little bit about yourself. Where did you go to school, and what extra-curricular activities did you take up? What helped prepare you to become the artist that you are today?
Skipping this question. ^_^

What inspired or convinced you to become an artist?
When I was a kid, I loved doodling. In school, Art was a subject I enjoyed a lot, though I didn’t particularly excel at it, and I wasn’t totally serious about it at the time. When it came to choosing paths,I decided on art school because I figured it would be worth studying something I've always enjoyed.
What is a typical day for you, and who are the
people you work with?


Skipping this question. ^_^

What are some of the things that you have worked on?

I have designed for print, basically promotional material for small organizations and designs for retail, though I've also done corporate identity for companies, art for websites, storyboards and graphics for television, props for stage...

Everything I post online is stuff I draw for leisure.

How do you go about an illustration, what goes through your mind, from start to end?

While working, I try not to think about anything other than the image I want to draw. If I'm careful enough,the initial idea and the final result match, but when I get carried away, the results come out differently.

Could you talk about your process in coloring your art (if at all), as well as the types of tools or media that you use?

I start by sketching in HB pencil on 200 gsm sketchbook paper. If the illustration needs to be colored, I work on a tough surface with grain, like watercolor or acrylic paper, or an illustration board primed with gesso. I work on the same surface from the sketch to the final artwork, so if I end up making an irreparable mistake, I get a new sheet of paper and start all over again. (It’s idiotic, but I can’t do it any other way.)

When I have the basic line art done, I
add flat washes of color to it, then build up both the subject and the background until I hit a point where I feel it’s done (or until I lose interest). Sometimes I scan the illustration then add final touches to it digitally.

What are some of the things that you do to keep yourself creative?


I look at a lot of children’s books, sites owned by professional and amateur artists, online photo archives, random old photographs in curio shops,design folios found in booksale carts, Japanese light novel illustrations, manga, comic books.

I still look
at the books with the illustrations I loved as a kid (mostly Richard Scarry, Disney's How It Works series,and the Nick Joaquin's Pop Stories for Groovy Kids set), and I also try to keep a regular reading habit,because fiction helps me come up with ideas.

Sketching at least once a day also helps keep the fingers busy.

What is your most favorite subject to draw, and why?


Most probably...romance. Especially the bubbly waffy young kind. I have absolutely no idea why, but it's always fun to draw something in that vein.

Who are the top illustrators whose works excite you the most?

Brett Helquist, who illustrated Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events", has an incredibly mesmerizing hatching style. Hayao Miyazaki's drawings are amazing, of course, and Kuroboshi Kouhaku has always been a personal favorite. I am also very fond of Takeda Hinata's illustrations for the GOSICK series (Takeda's illustrations are so richly detailed and colored). Gorgeous work. I also like Uesugi Tadahiro's work a lot.

For local children's books, I try to collect everything by Pepper Roxas and Jason Moss. I actually had quite a collection until a kid asked for them, and I figured children's books should go to children, so...

What are some of the neat things you have learned from other artists that you have worked with or seen?

I've picked up several tips on digital coloring,mostly how to work with filters and transparency to achieve softer lines and tones, though the most interesting tip I've picked up so far -- when it comes to traditional media, that is -- is, stain white paint with tea or coffee or whatever it is you have on hand, before applying on paper. I got that from Yamada Akihiro, in one of his interviews in a Comickers book.
(I'll have to point out that working with coffee isn't exactly a new thing; I knew some people who used to paint with that, but I digress.)

What are some of your favorite websites that you go to?

I always visit artists' blogs and websites to see what they're up to (people like
Kuroboshi Kouhaku, Yoshida Kenichi,Yasuda Akira, etc.) I also frequent some communities on livejournal, like kidpix and vintage ads.

I also love reading Dinosaur Comics.

What wisdom could you give us, about being an artist? Do you have any tips you could give?

Learn at your own pace. Don’t try to let anyone rush you. And always try find a way to make even the dullest thing fun for you, because if it only makes you miserable, then it’s not worth doing at all.
If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?
Please mail me at sachiattn[at]gmail[dot]com.

Do you have any of your art work for sale (comics, prints, or anything)? If so, for fans of your work can know where and when to buy it?


I have plans to sell postcard-sized prints and take on commissions for fan art and original artwork, but those aren't final yet.

Thanks!





If someone gave you a billion dollars, what would you do with it?

I would put half in the bank for safekeeping, give a quarter to my family, and use the remaining quarter
for household expenses, bills, and other important stuff. If I have a bit left over I think I'll buy the
stuff I want. I would also love a good cup of fine coffee.

No comments:

Got an Artist?

Do you know a Filipino artist who makes exceptional Japanese manga style illustrations? If so, leave his/her name and any other info about him/her on this post.