Friday, August 24, 2007

RYE


Tell me a little bit about yourself. Where did you go to school, and what extra-curricular activities did you take up? What helped prepare you to become the artist that you are today?

I took up a degree in Computer Science with a specialization on Instructional Systems Technology (pretty long, eh?) at DLSU. I didn't do a lot of extra-curricular activities at that time because I use my free time mostly for drawing and playing videogames. I was however a member of MooMedia, a multimedia org set up by my batchmates. Twas my love for computers and videogames that propelled me to be a
digital artist.

What inspired or convinced you to become an artist?


I've been drawing ever since I was a kid, but what I drew before didn't have to do anything with what I'm drawing today. Like 'normal' kids, my friends and I went through a phase where we were all very much into anime. Those friends who surrounded me were all good in drawing anime-styled artworks. But it was my bestfriend Reen, who was into videogames as well, that taught me to draw in that style. Couple that with the knowledge of being able to surf the net (there weren't many of us before), it didn't become hard for me to discover and be inspired by those great artists from all over.


What is a typical day for you, and who are the people you work with?


A typical day for me involves exposing myself to radiation from a lot of different
sources: my pc, my tv, my pc at the office, and the tv beside me at the office. Oh yeah, my phone, too.

I work at a tv station, you could just imagine how many
monitors I expose my eyes onto aside from the ones I already mentioned. The people I work with are a fun bunch, all of which are also exposed to a lot of radiation.

What are some of the things that you have worked on?


Most of my anime-styled artworks were born from drawing as a hobby and nothing else. Exceptions were a few pieces for two of Level-Up's game guides for Ragnarok. I also did Flash graphics for my thesis that later on was bought by a publishing company. Currently I do graphics for some of the plugs of Studio 23's shows.


How do you go about an illustration, what goes through your mind, from start to end?


Whenever I decide to draw, it’s either born from an idea stuck in my head for quite
a while or from a ‘just-draw-whatever’ attitude. While drawing it’s usually a mixture of sticking to the idea (sprung on or before) and making my hand go buck wild. This is why some of my works have characters in weird poses.

Could you talk about your process in coloring your art (if at all), as well as the types of tools or media that you use?


I color all my works digitally. I start with scanning and cleaning the lineart in Photoshop and then I transfer the lineart to Painter for the actual coloring. I use a (pretty cheap) pen and tablet and the tools I use often are digital watercolors and oil pastels. I do everything using the pen, starting with the flats, then the shadows, and finally the highlights. When I’m done with the piece, I return back to Photoshop to add finishing touches on the colors and to add color to the lineart if needed.


What are some of the things that you do to keep yourself creative?


I play videogames and browse artists over as DeviantArt and all over the web. A little time management with the former is needed, especially if the game being played gets highly addictive.


What is your most favorite subject to draw, and why?


I’ve drawn mostly portraits and pin-ups because I love designing characters, and then make stories about them. If only I knew how to sew, I would’ve brought some of my characters to reality.


Who are the top illustrators whose works excite you the most?


Hyung Tae-Kim, Cowbell (dunno the real name), SR, Akihiko Yoshida, Taga-ilog, Arnold Tsang to name a few.



What are some of the neat things you have learned from other artists that you have worked with or seen?


Drawing is neat, I learned that from my bestfriend Reen. Everything I know about coloring, I learned by oogling at artworks online.


What are some of your favorite websites that you go to?


There’s DeviantArt, where I met most of the great local artists I know. Kawaiidream.net is where I get my dose of videogame art.


What wisdom could you give us, about being an artist? Do you have any tips you could give?


There are a lot of other artists out there who are much more deserving than I am to impart wisdom to people. I tell myself to ‘just draw’. Don’t think about it way too much, just pick a pencil and a piece of paper and draw.


If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?


They could send an email to : hatesdk[at]yahoo[dot]com or they could send a note to me through my deviantart page at :
http://tsubibo.deviantart.com

Do you have any of your art work for sale (comics, prints, or anything)? If so, for fans of your work can know where and when to buy it?


I don’t have anything for sale up yet. So far what I only have now are plans haha


Thanks!


You’re welcome XD






If a sorcerer offered you fortune beyond your imagination in
exchange for your artistic talent, what would you do?

I’ll ask the sorcerer “How about take my out-of-tune
singing talent instead?” XD

No comments:

Got an Artist?

Do you know a Filipino artist who makes exceptional Japanese manga style illustrations? If so, leave his/her name and any other info about him/her on this post.