Monday, February 23, 2009

Jay Paolo Tiquia


Tell me a little bit about yourself, about your life? Where did you go to school, and what classes did you study? What helped prepare you to become the artist that you are today?

Greetings my fellow people in every place somewhere on the earth!^^, you can just call me Jay, Jaypao, Paolo, JP or anything you are comfortable calling me, but my whole name is "Jay Paolo Darlucio Abarientos Aguila D' Tiquia" or short for "Jay Paolo Tiquia" YEAH! XD well just joking.

Anyways I was born in February 1, 1988 somewhere in Quezon City Philippines but i live Valenzuela city. I'm still a student right now in college in University of the East (UE) Caloocan campus taking my 3rd year of Fine Arts major in Advertising and hoping to graduate in year 2010 XD.

The things that helped prepare me to become an artist that I am today are those people who always give their support to me. Like my family, friends, classmates, especially God who gave me this Talent and who I am today(since i came to a Christian Family and also my father was a Pastor so don't ask why ^^) and those things that gave me inspiration to draw.

What inspired or convinced you to become an Artist?

When I was just a kid (maybe around 3 to 4 years of age) one of my cousins who babysit me was very strict with not letting me go outside our house, so the only thing that I would do is watch television shows, and I think that time the only anime that I first watched and got interested in was Dragon Ball.


It convinced me to draw my first anime and after that I always drew and watched TV the whole day, everyday. That's what inspired and convinced me, I think? ^^

What is a typical day for you, and who are the people you work with?

As for this moment, I'm still just a student. Wake up in the morning for around 6:00 or 6:30am eat my breakfast, take a bath then go to school then attend all of my subjects mostly major subjects in MWF and minor subjects in TTH and go back home at around 7:30 or 8:30 in the evening(because I was full load so it starts at 7:30am to 8:00pm straight during MWF, while 3:00pm to 7:30pm during TTH)

What are some of the things that you have worked on?

For now I'm not working yet, so I do my "Plates" or what you can say as projects in my every subjects in school like Scenography(where you will plan and design a stage for theatre play, Variety show, beauty contest, etc.), Cartooning( Ofcourse design and creation of cartoon characters and all about cartoons.), Painting(where you paint subjects like portraits or picture of people, landscapes, etc.)

How do you go about illustration, what goes through your mind, from start to end?


When I just feel of drawing something or got bored I just draw, and also when i got inspired by other artworks or watched anime series I begin to draw.

Could you talk about your process in coloring your art (if at all), as well as the types of tools or media that you use?


I'm much comfortable when I draw an artwork in Traditional way by pencil, ink, markers, watercolor, pencil color, poster color,Colored pens,and oil paints. Im not that really good yet in digital artworks because of lack of more experience, the only media I usually use in digital is Photoshop.

What are some of the things that you do to keep yourself creative?

Watch movies and anime series, watch other great artists and also I'm obsessed in details.

What is your most favorite subject to draw, And why?

Mostly cute, sexy, and cool anime girls with cute and detailed costume and weapons.

Who are the top illustrators whose works excite you the most?

Animator of Gundams and other mecha stuff, next is Animators of CLAMP because of their costume designs and lastly some monster artists in deviantart like Stanley Lau AKA "Artgerm", redjuice999, zeiva, and all great Filipino artist "Saludo aku sa inyu!! XD"


What are some of the neat things you have learned from other artists that you have worked with or seen?


Well since I'm not that good at digital artwork and still improving myself at it, there are people who have posted tutorials in Deviantart in how to color and lineart in Photoshop that I learn and still improving it to my mind.

Also there was this professor in our painting subject who's amazingly good in all kinds of traditional artworks, I really want to adopt his style.

What are some of your favorite websites that you go to?

For now my only favorite website is Deviantart, because this is the only website I always go to.

What wisdom could you give us, about being an Artist? Do you have any tips you could give?

Well the only tip I can give you all is that don't lose your interest and inspirations in making artworks and try to develop it no matter what happen.

If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?


For now if you to cantact me just email me at tiquiapaolo[at]yahoo[dot]com or try to send me a note in my gallery and deviantart :"jaypao.deviantart.com"

Finally, do you have any of your art work for sale (sketchbook, prints, or anything) for fans of your work can know where and when to buy it?


For now still working on my manga, and if you just want me to draw something for you just try and contact me, for now i can give to you for free, if I had just a time to work on it. ^^

Thanks!







What are your plans after university?

As of this moment I'm in third year in my course and planning to have an OJT in eiher GMA or ABS-CBN, still deciding which one would be better, If GMA we have a relative there who can help me get their (and hope she help me to get there ^^) and if in ABS-CBN I'd like to work on HERO TV since I'm a fan of anime. And after graduating I'd like to to work in either of the station or perhaps any company that needed or open to an Advertising graduate like me.

No comments:

Got an Artist?

Do you know a Filipino artist who makes exceptional Japanese manga style illustrations? If so, leave his/her name and any other info about him/her on this post.