Friday, May 1, 2009

Shiei



Tell me a little bit about yourself. Where did you go to school, and what extra-curricular activities did you take up? What helped prepare you to become the artist that you are today?

I’m Shiei. I studied Fine Arts at Technological University of the Philippines majoring in Advertising arts for 3 years; I stopped since I had to move to America. I met a lot of creative people during my 3 years of college in the Philippines and a lot of them serve as my mentors. I also took a few classes of figure drawing and studied graphic arts in CA.


What inspired or convinced you to become an artist?


It’s what I love to do; growing up I was already interested in drawing (much to the complaints of my parents of me wasting paper)


What is a typical day for you, and who are the people you work with?

Typical day ...hmm basically after I do my usual chores, I go online and start working till evening or usually till I pass out (the basic life of working at home).

What are some of the things that you have worked on?

I've worked with Seven Seas doing two of their manga/comics Aoi House and Amazing Agent Luna. Right now, I'm working on Avalon manga and novel also by Seven Seas.


How do you go about an illustration, what goes through your mind, from start to end?


First, I think about what story or emotion I want the audience to feel before I sketch. After the sketch was done I go ahead and ink and color it in Photoshop.>> Though it usually doesn’t come that smoothly since I’m constantly ending up with a pile of unused sketches XD


Could you talk about your process in coloring your art (if at all), as well as the types of tools or media that you use?

I only use Photoshop at the moment, coloring flats first before shading. I usually end with a ton of layers (sadly)


What are some of the things that you do to keep yourself creative?

I would listen to music, read manga or just customize dolls (pullips and BJD ) or just stop drawing for a while to refresh the mind.


What is your most favorite subject to draw, and why?


Chibis! They are cute, fun and easy to draw.


Who are the top illustrators whose works excite you the most?


CLAMP, they are just plain awesome.


What are some of the neat things you have learned from other artists that you have worked with or seen?

I learned to be patient and not to be so much of a pessimist. (I still am…>> somewhat… )


What are some of your favorite websites that you go to?


Deviantart.com, denofangels.com

What wisdom could you give us, about being an artist? Do you have any tips you could give?

Everybody keeps on saying this but…. PATIENCE is really needed to become a good artist. All of us had to start from somewhere, right ^^. Also, don’t be afraid of criticisms. Use them as a fuel to improve. Remain true to yourself, and be humble.


If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?


They can note me at Deviant art (http://nekoshiei.deviantart.com) or by my email (shiei_blackfire[at]yahoo[dot]com)


Do you have any of your art work for sale (comics, prints, or anything)? If so, for fans of your work can know where and when to buy it?


They are for sale at Barnes and Nobles here in the US.





What song would you shake your head to?

My favorite song so far is “Let Go “ by Frou frou (I like most of her songs anyways ^^)

No comments:

Got an Artist?

Do you know a Filipino artist who makes exceptional Japanese manga style illustrations? If so, leave his/her name and any other info about him/her on this post.