Monday, February 20, 2012

Enjelia


Tell us a little bit about yourself. Where did you go to school, and what extra-curricular activities did you take up? What helped prepare you to become the artist that you are today?

Hi I’m Enjelia. I am taking B.S. Architecture at the University of Santo Tomas. I like Anime/Manga since Yu Yu Hakusho(a.k.a Ghost Fighter) and Sailor Moon, I’d say they were my influence for the anime/manga category. I love to make web comics when I have time. I also love to draw buildings and landscapes though I am not very confident making them, but I still do my best.

What inspired or convinced you to become an artist?

The buildings in Makati when I was little. I just sort of started to draw them. Ahaha.

What is a typical day for you, and who are the people you work with?

Wake up, go to school during school days. In my free time, I just check my dA account for some client request (a.k.a commissions) or get in touch with Oh no! Manga team.

OTL

What are some of the things that you have worked on?

I do commissions in deviant Art. Some of my works are used for flash games, exhibit event stands (Anime conventions and Window Displays at SM) and Gaia online.
I am currently the web comic artist for a (short) comic (in Manga style) series in Alabama.
I am also a contributor/artist for Oh no! Manga and I’ll have my work “Better Boyfriend” and hopefully “Girl Gamer” too, to be published by them… /dies.

How do you go about an illustration, what goes through your mind, from start to end?

I usually draw the character I like the most during that time. I will first think of the character’s personality, sketch some pose based on it, or sometimes I will add a funny situation in the art.

Could you talk about your process in coloring your art (if at all), as well as the types of tools or media that you use?

I use Sai & Photoshop CS3. I work sketch directly on Sai, since I don’t have a scanner (define poor, yeah that’s me). I do digital coloring with many layers. I start of with the skin, the hair and then the clothes. And then, I’ll use Photoshop for finishing touches and effects.

What are some of the things that you do to keep yourself creative?

Looking at the works of some great artists helps me.

What is your most favorite subject to draw, and why?

The Face. It shows the emotions of the character.

Who are the top illustrators whose works excite you the most?

Francisco MaƱosa (for Architecture) – National Artist. He gives this “Filipino touch” to every design he makes, that’s what I like about him.

Redjuice999(for Anime epicness) – I love his style. I don’t want to copy it though.

Tony Taka (for Manga/Anime) – Ecchi? That’s him. Haha.

Eiichiro Oda (for Manga/Anime) - This artist’s style seems so easy but it is not.

Hiro Mashima (for Manga/Anime) – He’s like Eiichiro Oda, in Bishounen/ Bishoujo style. :P

Hideaki Sorachi (for Manga/Anime and Comedy) -

What are some of the neat things you have learned from other artists that you have worked with or seen?

99% Hard work, 1% Talent. Always do your best and have fun.
And to always be nice to people, because I hate rude artists.

What are some of your favorite websites that you go to?

Facebook. I talk to my friends and people who says they admire my works there. I try to respond any time I can.
Deviant Art. I post my works here and interact with fellow artist. I made lots of friends here (real life).
Smackjeeves. I post my webcomics here. Here’s my profile:

What wisdom could you give us, about being an artist? Do you have any tips you could give?

If you think you're good at something, there's always someone who does it better.
Don’t let too much praise get into you, or you might turn into someone else.
Be humble.

If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?

Through my deviant Art: www.enjelia.deviantart.com
They may note me. Or in my mail: enjelicious[at]gmail[dot]com
:D

Do you have any of your art work for sale (comics, prints, or anything)? If so, for fans of your work can know where and when to buy it?

I sell stuffs & do on-the-spot commissions during anime conventions. And I have my web comic, “Looking for a better boyfriend” (Better Boyfriend) now published by Oh No! Manga, to be sold at some comic shops (for more details, please visit: http://www.facebook.com/ohnomanga).




If you were able to collect all 7 Dragonballs, which famous person would you want Shenlong to bring back to life, and why?

Son Goku.

“Everyone give me money with your aura!” *raises both hands*
…That’s wrong.

No comments:

Got an Artist?

Do you know a Filipino artist who makes exceptional Japanese manga style illustrations? If so, leave his/her name and any other info about him/her on this post.