Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Meru


Tell me a little bit about yourself, about your life? Where did you go to school, and what classes did you study? What helped prepare you to become the artist that you are today?

I started drawing way back when I was a child. I'd try to copy the illustrations I find in children's book and I think that's when I started. Eventually when early animes(such as Dragon Ball, Ranma 1/2 etc.) began airing in TV, I was captivated by their looks that I started drawing them as well.

I kept drawing as a hobby and passion and was introduced to digital art when I discovered Deviantart at least 3 years ago and that's when I started dabbling in with pixels. I'm currently in a university in a course with no relation to art since I only do draw for the fun of it. I love being an artist though. ^^

What inspired or convinced you to become an Artist?

I guess it only came natural since I loved drawing as a child and continue to do so until now. ^^

What is a typical day for you, and who are the people you work with?

Of course, studies aside, a typical day for me would either go to drawing, playing games, watching and going online. *laughs* I just do arts at my own pace so I really don't have a schedule to follow when it comes to art. If I am working on a personal project or commissions, I try to divide my time accordingly so I could finish what I am working on and still have time for other stuffs that I do.

What are some of the things that you have worked on?

As I stated I only draw mostly for my own leisure but I do take commissions when I have the time.

How do you go about illustration, what goes through your mind, from start to end?

I start out with the image of what I want to draw in my mind and then just start sketching it out. I try to stick with the original plan I have but I'd incorporate any new idea that pops up. I just try to really get in the mood to draw and just work while in that mood. I could really get absorbed to what I'm doing.

Could you talk about your process in coloring your art (if at all), as well as the types of tools or media that you use?

I use digital art so I usually start coloring by laying out all the color flats first and the work on shading them and putting the details after ward. I usually work with openCanvas 3.03+ program but I just recently discovered Painter IX about a month or so ago so yeah I'm kinda experimenting and adjusting myself with that program right now. Photoshop is another constant program for me for both coloring and editing. I use to only draw with a mouse till around last year when I finally got myself a (wacom)tablet.

What are some of the things that you do to keep yourself creative?

I try to draw everyday, even if its a simple sketch or doodle cause I know how it is when I do not draw for long periods of time. I try to experiment when I can. I also listen to music I like(it inspires me alot) and look at various drawings and pictures and try to learn from them. I even draw inspiration from fashion channels. *laughs*

What is your most favorite subject to draw, And why?

It would probably cute things and male subjects, it even got to a point where I'm having trouble with drawing girls *laughs* I try to work it out in a balance now though. For theme, I like working with fantasy ones.

Who are the top illustrators whose works excite you the most?


A lot actually. Tetsuya Nomura, Kohaku Kuroboshi, Kōsuke Fujishima, Takeshi Obata, Ugetsu Hakua, Azumi Tohru and more. Yeah mostly game designers since I'm playing a lot of games right now so I'm mostly exposed to their arts.

What are some of the neat things you have learned from other artists that you have worked with or seen?

Techniques to drawing and coloring and how to do things, I suppose. I still continue to learn from what I see from them consciously or not.

What are some of your favorite websites that you go to?

Deviantart, Youtube, livejournal. Occasionally, I go to my fav artists websites.


What wisdom could you give us, about being an Artist? Do you have any tips you could give?


If you want to improve then draw. Just draw, draw and draw. I meet alot of people who express their desire to improve but then that's just it, they don't do anything about it. If you'll just complain, just use that time to grab a pencil and sketch, its more productive that way. Drawing is a continually learning process so always keep an open mind. Never quit and don't let frustration stop you. And remember to have fun!

If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?

You can contact me through my email: scarlet_curse [at] yahoo.com and/or through my DA account: http://meru-chan.deviantart.com

Finally, do you have any of your art work for sale (sketchbook, prints, or anything) for fans of your work can know where and when to buy it?

I have previously sold indie/self-published artbooks at past cons and pins too with my friends group. Sometimes I can be caught available for sketch commissions in cons too. And as I have said earlier, I also take commissions for digital arts. ^^

Thanks!

Thank you! It's an honor to be featured. ^^






Why not a course or career in the arts?

I did consider taking fine arts back then, but a part of me still can't take studying arts seriously(that's why despite liking drawing very much, I don't excel in art classes at school that much ^^;). Also I wanted to be an engineer more at that time so I ended up to where I am now.

No comments:

Got an Artist?

Do you know a Filipino artist who makes exceptional Japanese manga style illustrations? If so, leave his/her name and any other info about him/her on this post.