Monday, July 12, 2010

Kevin Libranda




Tell me a little bit about yourself. Where did you go to school, and what extra-curricular activities did you take up? What helped prepare you to become the artist that you are today?

I'm a mute...lol just kidding. I just don't talk too much, maybe it also depends on the person I'm talking with - then I get talkative.

I attended a public school from Primary to High School(Is it ok if I don't mention it anymore?) in Manila, and yeah I've been a consistent school representative in every Poster Making Contest. Whether I was prepared or not they would just throw me into contest( I didn't know whether they really cared about how I felt those times or if they just wanted to win, since it's the school's name you're carrying right? :) And that, I think, prepared me to become the artist I am today (and in being a toy lol.)

What inspired or convinced you to become an artist?

What inspired me to become an artist? I must say it was Culture Crash Comics' fault... For me, it was like the most awesome comic ever created! I think I was in my 1st year in High School that time and it was 100% pinoy made and that inspired me a lot! I'm proud to say I'm still a fan up to now lol :)

What is a typical day for you, and who are the people you work with?

Typical day for me... a "house boy", I actually do all the house chores( being the only child sucks!), after that I start doing my things. To be honest I have no work for now. :(

What are some of the things that you have worked on?

I worked on one of titles in Mangaholix "Aporia", story and art by me, and some side projects that they gave me when I was still there. :)

How do you go about an illustration, what goes through your mind, from start to end?

When I see awesome art, or movies, anime etc. my mind burst with ideas, concepts... and I actually imagine my work finished and moving(slow mo). I never imagine my work only penned or doodled... so that's how I go about my illos.

Could you talk about your process in coloring your art (if at all), as well as the types of tools or media that you use?

For me, I do the flats first( most artists, I think, do that). Then I put some shadows in as a plan, I don't merge it in my final work. After that I start coloring and for the final lightings :). Right now I'm using corel painter for pencils and inks ( unluckily I can't find any Manga Studio installers :( ). For brushes and effects I use Photoshop. :)

What are some of the things that you do to keep yourself creative?

To keep myself creative, I keep myself watching movies and lots of anime!(But that's after the chores)


What is your most favorite subject to draw, and why?

I like drawing boobies, female bodies and faces. I don't do male that much, I only do when the situation calls for it...lol to be honest I don't know why, maybe beacause it was easy for me to draw round shapes...since female have more soft and curvey lines which is easy for me to storked down.

Who are the top illustrators whose works excite you the most?

Elmer Damaso, Joe Madureira and Stanley Lau. They are awesome! I bow to them...:)

What are some of the neat things you have learned from other artists that you have worked with or seen?

Spot "blacks" blocks( I'm not sure if of the spelling). My co-worker before was mad at me because I don't do that. I think up until now he still is lol, because he was OC about it, lol peace man! But I still think they are only applicable and essential in manga or any B&W work, but for the colored work not so much. :)


What are some of your favorite websites that you go to?

DeviantArt,I only surf the net when I'm researching and looking for references.

What wisdom could you give us, about being an artist? Do you have any tips you could give?

Experiment with a lot of things, don't just stick to what you already do or know... If you do that, changes or evolution will not come out from your art. :)


If people would like to contact you, how would you like to be contacted?

Maybe they'll just have to note me on my Deviantart account> kevintut[dot]deviantart[dot]com or my e-mail account > kevinplue_14[at]yahoo.com

Do you have any of your art work for sale (comics, prints, or anything)? If so, for fans of your work can know where and when to buy it?

For now I don't have any art work for sale. But for those who are interested I'm currently taking commissions, they could just send me a note on my Deviantart account for questions and info. :)





If you were given a chance to turn any live animal into your canvas, what animal would you choose to paint on?

If I were given a chance to turn a live animal into my canvass? a "Sea turtle"!... they live long, explore and propagates a lot...:)



No comments:

Got an Artist?

Do you know a Filipino artist who makes exceptional Japanese manga style illustrations? If so, leave his/her name and any other info about him/her on this post.